Podcast: Carry a torch for somebody

Hello, welcome to my podcast. Aha. Bear with me a few seconds. Are you ready?

Close your eyes and imagine a girl is getting lost in a forest. Can you see anything? I guess you just see something pitch-dark. Haha, keep listening and I’ll recount this story to you.

At that time she was feeling utterly sorry for herself and thinking: “What will become of my future?” Then out of the blue, she saw a person with a blazing torch. This burning torch appearing behind her head as if by magic! A gorgeous deep voice to her left as though it could echo through the silent forest.

Do I mind? Let me take you out of the dark with this flaming torch.

 I don’t need it! I have my beloved going with me. Get out of my sight!

 

He left and she missed the chance to find a way out of the forest.

 

The forest fairy or the soul of the forest appeared and said: Don’t so beastly to him! He is a good bloke. He’s been carrying a torch for you for a long time, but you seem not to notice. What a pity!

All of a sudden, she burst into tears and heard the sound of her heart shattering into a million pieces.

You never can tell – her beloved was not as good as she expected. He lied to her and left her alone – just wanted to break off the relationship.

 

How did you feel about the story? Did you feel sorry for the man or the girl in the story? Why?

 

Now, it’s time for the foutain of vocabulary:  

The expression here:

carry a torch for somebody: to be in love with somebody, especially somebody who does not love you in return.

 

Out of the blue: if something happens out of the blue, it is completely unexpected.

 

Pitch-dark or pitch-black: extremely dark

 

Recount sth to sb: to tell a story

 

A burning/ blazing/ flaming torch: to burn brightly and strongly

 

What will become of sb/sth?: used to ask what will happen to sb/sth


*** Don't be so beastly to him: Don't be horrible to him!


Right!! Do you think this story is about the pain of unrequited love? Have you in this situation before? You love someone, but he or she does not love you back. Let me know if you can.

 

I’m Stephen Anthony Howard from Mirth and Fountain of Delight. Goodbye and I’ll see you next time.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIARY OF STEPHEN 3

METICULOUS

DIARY OF STEPHEN 5